Friday, October 10, 2008

"How to Lose Friends & Alienate People" - spoiler movie review

The standee for "How to Lose Friends & Alienate People" hadn't done much for me, and the title is entirely too long, but the trailer was terrific, and the movie was starring Jeff Bridges, Kirsten Dunst and Megan Fox, all of whom I like.

Unfortunately, I found that the expectations which had been set for me from the trailer were not fulfilled in the film itself. The movie tried very hard to be really funny, but I could see that it was trying without really ever getting to where I think they were going. There were bursts of laughter and good moments, but there were also a lot of awkward moments where something was supposed to be funny, but it didn't work, so it just sat there like a blob. Sure, there were lots of funny stuff that was in the trailer, but those moments didn't work very well in the flow of the movie itself, and you really need more moments than what are just in the trailer.

I think what ultimately didn't work for me was that Sidney truly sold himself out. It wasn't that he changed his perspective, but he really did just plunge right in there, all to just get Sophie's attention. He didn't really like what he was doing, and he became the very thing he hated.

The trailer for the Mother Teresa film was pretty hilarious though, and it reminded me a lot of the trailers from "Tropic Thunder". And yes, they made a website for it too. You can see the trailer on the website. And the film about Mother Teresa - it's rated NC17! I love that they're all doing this!

One of the major pleasant surprises of the movie is Gillian Anderson, who is absolutely fabulous as Sophie's high-powered publicist/handler. She definitely steals the scenes that she's in.

Simon Pegg was ok, but I wasn't as enamoured of him as I normally am of Brits. But I'll see him again next year, as he'll be donning a Scottish accent to play Scotty in the next "Star Trek" movie.

Jeff Bridges was ok in the film, but he really didn't have all that much to do other than to spout four-letter words in a couple of scenes.

I did think Kirsten Dunst was quite good in this, hitting the right notes at the right time.

But as for Megan Fox, I have no idea why she agreed to do this role. It was mostly a nothing role, so I guess if she wanted to prove that she could play a vapid airhead, she's proven she can do it. She mostly just gets to look beautiful and sexy in this film, which is all well and good, but she's got a lot more going for her. If I hadn't already seen how terrific she was in "Transformers", I probably wouldn't have thought much of her based on her performance in this film.

But on a semi-related note, I did find it amusing that the first time you're introduced to Sophie, standing right next to her is Brian Austin Green, who is Megan Fox's real-life boyfriend/fiance (not sure if they're engaged or not).

I can't really recommend this movie, even though I didn't hate it. I'd say that if you're interested, wait until it's out on DVD.

No comments: