Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Disney collectibles

Those who actually know me are probably wondering why it's taken me so long to post something like this.

The husband and I collect various things in the Disney universe, ranging from plush to action figures to miniatures to larger collectibles.

One line of Disney collectible merchandise is the big figures - called "big figs" for short. They are usually about two feet tall and can depict a single character, two characters, a vehicle or even a land. As the name implies, they take up much more space than a regular collectible, so yes, you do need more room if you're going to have any of these.

Big figs are available either at the Disneyland Resort or the Walt Disney World Resort. I'm not sure if Tokyo or Paris or Hong Kong carry them. Big figs are also available online via DisneyShopping.com. Different big figs might be available in different locations, and I've seen some that seem exclusive to online.

It's actually been some time since I've browsed around that website, but the husband and I had occasion to over the weekend, and boy did we find some nifty stuff!

This is the one that got my attention the most.




I *love* Steamboat Willie so this piece definitely calls to me. He can sometimes be sculpted a bit oddly, but they did a wonderful job in depicting him and the wheel. This one is actually bigger than a regular big fig since he's 3 feet tall. Oh, and he's also a lot more expensive. Normal big figs usually cost about $150. This one costs $500, and then you have to add almost $200 in shipping to that price. Yeah, I really like it, but I have neither the space for it nor the inclination to spend that much money on it. But it's fun to imagine.


Here's another one that caught my attention.




I like Sorcerer Mickey as well, and this is a nice set of him and a broom too. The broom is the same height as Steamboat Willie - 3 feet - but Sorcerer Mickey is just about a foot taller than that, probably because of his hat. And this is also $500, but it's a bargain because you get two figures instead of just one! Shipping is also a little cheaper, only $155. I'm surprised at the cost of this piece compared to Steamboat Willie, but then, they only tell you the height of the figures, not the total dimensions. I would expect that because Steamboat Willie is behind a wheel, that piece is probably fairly wide whereas these individual figures might not be. I have a brother and a good friend who are both quite enamoured of Sorcerer Mickey. I know that my sister-in-law would never allow my brother to have this in the house - they don't have room for the extensive Sorcerer Mickey collection that he already has. But I wonder how Robert is going to convince Dan to let him have this! :)


Here's another piece that caught my attention.




I have a good friend who loves Ariel, which is why I noticed this piece. She actually already has a big fig of Ariel, so I'm not sure if she would be interested in this one. Yes, it has Sebastian, which the other one doesn't, but the base of this one is much simpler.



This is the Ariel big fig that she has, which is actually originally from WDW.



Here's a side view of her so you can see more of the details.



This is the Ariel big fig from Disneyland, which seems identical to the other one except that Ariel has a sparkly tail instead.



Now that I look at all the pictures together, I actually do like the more subdued hues of the new big fig. Maybe that goes better with the more simplistic base, and since it's no longer just Ariel, it focusses more attention on her and Sebastian. Hmmm, wonder what my Ariel-loving friend thinks of it.


And for good measure, here's a land big fig.




This would be a nice piece for a "Peter Pan" fan. It's got a nice mixture of scenes and characters, and there are elements that light up, and the waterfall effect seems pretty cool too. This one is a little smaller than a regular big fig since it's only about a foot tall, and the $150 price is more in line with regular big figs.

1 comment: