Monday, November 10, 2008

Farrell's is coming back!

A friend sent me this link today, with news that the Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour chain will finally be making its comeback in Southern California.

Many people might remember Farrell's from their childhood, but most of them closed. There had been a long-standing Farrell's in the San Diego area, but that closed as well. A couple new Farrell's locations have re-opened in the last several years, but only one has remained open in the continental United States, located in Santa Clarita. (There are also two locations in Hawaii.) The chain has been locked in a legal battle for many years now, and a Farrell's location had been scheduled to open at the Block in Orange in 2003, but the legal problems put a stop to that.

I'm glad to see that Farrell's will finally be coming back, with 2 locations due to open in 2009. I'm a little concerned about the "modern twists", but I hope they keep the same feel. The Santa Clarita location is pretty cool.

Here's my review of a location that opened in Temecula which subsequently closed.

And here's my review, with lots of pictures, of the Santa Clarita location.

Here's a really great unofficial site with lots of information about Farrell's. And for good measure, here's the official site.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!! My local Farrell's in Rosemead is a cherished memory. We celebrated lots of birthday parties there. And I got kicked out of there several times when visiting with my obnoxious High School Marching Band. Can't wait to see more of them!

Sherry said...

Tim:

That was YOU?! Figures. ;)

I used to go to that Farrell's in Rosemead, too, but I don't remember going there in high school. Maybe because your lot was there, making a ruckus.

Arielle said...

Brad and I loved Farrell's at teens here in Sacramento. They had two in this area.

Would be nice if they opened one again. Thanks for the update!