Saturday, July 4, 2009

the trip to the top of The Lady

I had remembered hearing the announcement a while back, but I had forgotten about it until I saw a news headline today that the crown of the Statue of Liberty reopened for visitors today.

Access to the inside of the Statue was closed after September 11, 2001, and while parts of the Statue were reopened several years later, access to the crown has remained closed. Until today.

On my first trip to New York in the 90s to visit a friend for her graduation, we did some sightseeing, and we did go to the Statue of Liberty and waited and made the trek up to the crown. It's a pretty small space, and the climb up the stairs was a little tiring, and it was a pretty long wait. But it was all worth it. Being up in the crown, seeing the amazing view of New York and knowing about the history and meaning of the Statue was all pretty amazing. It was one of the rare occasions when I asked to have my picture taken, inside the crown, because it was that amazing.

It makes me very happy to know that people will be able to visit the top of The Lady again.

No comments: