Thursday, July 9, 2009

"Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" - spoiler movie review

I loved "Ice Age", and I even liked "Ice Age: The Meltdown", so when I saw the trailer and one-sheet for "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs", and there was a T-rex in it, I was definitely in.





Overall, I really enjoyed the movie. I think I actually liked it better than the second film. I wasn't crazy about Ellie or Crash and Eddie in the second film, but I liked them much better in this film. Yeah, the story of the entire world of dinosaurs living underneath the frozen layer on top was a little hokey, but that was ok. I liked seeing all the other dinosaurs, and really, who doesn't like seeing a T-Rex? I liked that the T-Rex was a mommy, and Sid was pretty cute playing mom to her babies - he even drew faces on the eggs! Those little T-Rex babies were *SO* cute! I loved when they terrorized the little playground that Manny had set up for his child. And when one of the babies had to throw up the two animal younglings it had eaten. Gross, but funny. When the T-Rex brought the "dead" bird back to feed the babies, that was more grossness, but then it didn't turn out to be dead. And Sid was funny trying to teach the T-Rex babies to be vegetarians. FAIL! But it was pretty sweet when the mother T-Rex picked up Sid and put him in the enclave as well as they went to sleep, hiding from Rudy. And yeah, even *I* knew that T-Rex was going to come in and save the day against Rudy.





And oh my gosh - little Peaches was just *adorable*! Cutest.little.thing.





During the chase scene when Diego is going after that antelopey thing, it was pretty funny that at one point, there was dirt splashed on the "camera". Pretty cool.

The whole bit with Scrat and Scratte (or however you spell her name) was ok, but it took up more time than I thought it would. (Oh, and btw, contrary to what the person who submitted the summary to themoviespoiler.com wrote, "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" is by Lou Rawls not Al Green. If you don't know who sings the song, that's fine, but don't get the artist wrong. That's pretty much Lou Rawls' signature song. And it's a damn good song, too.) They would periodically have them interact for a second with the main story, but otherwise, it was a completely separate B story. I have to say, though, that the new version of "Alone Again, Naturally" that's "sung" from the acorn to Scrat had me in hysterics at the new lyrics. I might have to pick up the soundtrack just for that.





That new mega-dinosaur thing, Rudy, was pretty scary.

Simon Pegg was pretty funny as "Buck". I'll admit that I didn't recognize his voice, and he was a bit over the top, but he was still good.





I saw the film in regular projection (though it was digital - digital rules), and I'm interested in seeing it again in 3D. The T-Rex and Rudy segments might be pretty awesome.





Two thumbs up from me. It was funny and action packed, and the segments with the T-Rex babies and Sid and then Peaches and everyone were really sweet, something I didn't expect from the movie going in.

No comments: