Saturday, July 11, 2009

musical interlude - "Oughta Know By Now"

So, did you know that I really love Phil Collins' music? Yeah, I think I might have mentioned that one or twenty or a billion times. Well, I've been rediscovering my iPod lately, realizing that it will play me music I really like as I'm driving. Yeah, I know, not exactly breaking news, but I've been really weird about music the last couple of years, so using the iPod in the car is actually a good thing.

Anyway, Phil Collins' second-to-last studio album was "Dance Into The Light", which has a nice mixture of different kinds of music, and there are actually quite a number of songs on the album that I really love. I was listening to the album the other day, and I remembered how much I absolutely adore a particular song called "Oughta Know By Now". There were a couple of songs on the album that immediately hit me, upon first listen, and that was definitely one of them.

It's a little hard to describe exactly why it affects me so much - it's really just the perfect mixture of everything. The rhythms and tempo in the song are so sensual and sexy - that kind of gets you into it. And then the mix of drums and keyboards and guitar - that draws you further in. And then you get to the lyrics themselves - alluring and powerful. And then to top it all off, you get the driving passion with which Phil sings the songs, especially when he punctuates certain words. Oh my.

I think it's the "torch song" quality of the song that really gets to me. I can totally see Phil singing this in some little dive of a nightclub on a tiny stage, smoky atmosphere, not very many patrons, with just a couple musicians behind him, and him just singing his heart out, right at the person he's directing this song to. Wow. (And yes, in case you were wondering, the husband does read this blog, but it's not like it's any secret to him how much I like Phil.)

So I don't know if I'm simply imagining that scenario or if I'm channelling. I believe he did do a music video for that song, but I can't remember, and that might exactly have been the setting. But no matter where the imagery comes from, it's still just as potent.

So, for your listening pleasure, here's the song itself, "Oughta Know By Now".

Is it getting a little warm in here?

No comments: