Thursday, February 12, 2009

Who doesn't love MILK?

This has been a particularly difficult week at work, so today, as a little break from the craziness, I decided to treat myself by having lunch at MILK. It was actually quite busy when I got there. All of the inside tables looked to be taken but I noticed that the very last table in the back was empty, so I put my order number on it to claim the table. As I waited for my food, I looked around the store, noticing that they had even more offerings than the last time I'd been there, which was a couple months ago.

The chicken minestrone was quite good. The pasta I had was good, but it was a bit saltier than I normally like. I picked up a few goodies to go, some for me, a treat for the husband, a treat for a friend, and a few things for the office.

As I was browsing the goodies and mentally going through the laundry list of what I wanted to get, my arm was unceremoniously twisted into sampling the red velvet poppers. I'd seen them before but cupcakes aren't really my thing, so I'd never thought to try them. Oh my goodness, they were yummy. There was only a bit of frosting on top, which was good because I'm not big on sweet frosting either. I ended up getting two dozen to bring back to my co-workers.


I didn't notice until I looked at the picture that even though I ordered two dozen, I actually got two bakers' dozen.


My co-workers seemed to enjoy the treats, and all the poppers were gone by the end of the day.


While I was at MILK, I had a chance to say hi and chat for a couple minutes with Bret, who owns and runs the restaurant, and Dave, who's the head baking dude. It was pretty busy, though, and I didn't want to monopolize their time when they obviously had work to do, so I didn't get a chance to talk to them as much as I would have liked to. Maybe next time.


One thing I did mention to each of them is that I'd noticed they would be returning this year for Disney's California Food and Wine Festival at the Disneyland Resort. Under the Signature Events listing, there's a category called Sweet Sundays.

Begin your Sweet Sunday with a sparkling toast and a light buffet. Afterwards one of the acclaimed pastry chefs in our lineup will demonstrate how to make three signature desserts. You'll get an opportunity to sample these luscious sweets throught the session.

Sunday, May 17, 2009
Bret Thompson & Dave Baker, MILK Cafe and Bakeshop, Los Angeles


Registration for that is in about two weeks, so we're planning to go.

Bret and Dave had a free demonstration at last year's Food and Wine Festival that we really enjoyed.

No comments: