Sunday, February 10, 2008

"You're going to need a bigger boat."

It's a line that most people know. Some might not know where it's from. Some might know that it's from a movie but not which movie. But there's no denying that it's one of the most memorable lines of all time, taken from the 1975 film "Jaws". The man who uttered that line, Roy Scheider, died today at the age of 75. No cause of death was released, but he has been treated for bone marrow cancer for a number of years now, and there is no known cure. His line will live on forever though. I know that I'm not the only one who uses that line in everyday conversation when the situation is appropriate.




While most people probably know him best from "Jaws", his most memorable performance for me was as the Bob Fosse character in "All That Jazz". This was a role that for me was quite a departure for him, and he did an amazing job.




I also loved him in "Blue Thunder" (the movie) and "2010", and he was pretty much the only reason I watched "SeaQuest DSV" and continued to watch the show until his departure.

I'll have to watch "All That Jazz" again soon. Thanks for everything, Roy. Rest well.


No comments: