Friday, February 22, 2008

Delphi Greek Cuisine - restaurant review

At lunch the other day, the restaurant that I frequent was having some kind of kitchen problem, and when I walked in, they said it would be 30 minutes before they could cook anything, so since I didn't have that kind of time, I wandered off in search of something else. I found a small Greek restaurant that I hadn't remembered noticing before. I browsed the menu outside, and it looked pretty good, so I decided to give it a try.

The menu consisted of appetizers, soups, salads, sandwiches, specials and desserts. After browsing for a few minutes, I decided to have a cup of the avgolemono soup and then the chicken kebab sandwich.

The soup was a little different than I'd had at other Greek places. Instead of having defined ingredients, it was more of a creamed soup with just little bits of stuff, but I still loved the great flavor and the lemon taste. The soup was very creamy and smooth, so it was a nice starter.

The chicken kebab sandwich actually came as pita wrapped around the sandwich contents. The menu wasn't very descriptive and hadn't said that, so I was pleased that it wasn't just a regular sandwich. There was a good portion of chicken in the sandwich, and the chicken had good flavoring with the spices on it. I also enjoyed the red onions and the pita was good too - all around a nice sandwich.

The sandwich also came with a small side of Greek salad, which I really enjoyed. It had a LOT of feta cheese, and I loved the flavor of the dressing.

It's a pretty small place, one that could easily be overlooked. The tables were set with white linen, which was fancier than I had expected. The staff was quite attentive and pleasant, with my water glass being constantly filled. There was apparently some kind of problem with the front door though, as it would often remain open after someone came in or went out since you had to be very firm about closing it. The staff was repeatedly going to close the door since the open door let the chilly air in.

All in all, it was a very nice lunch, and it's definitely somewhere I'd go again. The only difficulty I can see is that since it's on busy Westwood Blvd., parking can be an issue. When I'm in the area, I'm usually going to Borders, which is across the street, and for a purchase at Borders, you can park in their underground lot for free for a couple of hours.


Delphi Greek Cuisine
1383 Westwood Blvd.
Westwood, CA 90024
310-478-2900

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello,

October 1th 2009 ownership of Delphi Greek changed. hope after fundamental changes finally we change the door and also try to be more close to taste of Greece. also now Ross store replaces with Borders with same system. We are really looking forward to see return customer here :) When you come remind us and Baghlava for dessert will be on us.