Wednesday, June 3, 2009

maybe the aliens visited London first and then Georgia next

I heard about this article about a weird stone structure in Georgia that people have no idea why it's there or what it means. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't so much remind me of Stonehenge as it does some post-apocalyptic movie set.

I think people are just likening it to Stonehenge because people in America wish there was something American that was as cool as Stonehenge. But there isn't, for all kinds of reasons, one of which is that relatively speaking, America is a baby on the global map.

I had the good fortune of visiting Stonehenge many years ago. We still couldn't go right up to it, but we could go pretty near it, and I've heard that nowadays, you can't get very close to it at all. People who know me know that I'm not one to have my picture taken much, so you'll know how cool I thought it was because I asked total strangers to take a picture of me with Stonehenge in the background.

It was a great trip, and my only regret was that I didn't purchase the miniature Stonehenge for sale in the local store set up in a shack or something. But, I didn't want to have to carry that heavy souvenir - I wish I had.

No comments: