Thursday, May 14, 2009

"Knowing" - spoiler movie review

"Knowing" had one really big obstacle that I had to get over - Nicolas Cage. I really dislike Nicolas Cage. Not as a person since I don't know him or really know anything about him, but I really dislike him as an actor. He was fine in "Peggy Sue Got Married", but other than that, he not only doesn't do anything for me, but rather, he detracts for me. I hated him in "Leaving Las Vegas", but then, I pretty much hated the entire movie. And of course, he was rewarded with an Academy Award for his performance in that film. There have been films that I might have been interested in seeing, but once I found out he was in it, I passed. This is the first film in quite some time where my interest in the film surpassed my desire to never see Nicolas Cage in a movie again.

OK, so with that major obstacle going into the movie, I actually rather liked it. The trailers were pretty intriguing to begin with, and it was actually really tense during much of the movie when you had no idea why stuff was happening, and then you found out about the creepy girl who had written all the numbers down in the first place, and then you discovered that creepy dudes are stalking the little boy and then the little girl and talking to them and approaching them as well.

I was really surprised at how graphic some of the scenes were. The plane crash was pretty horrific, especially with the people walking around in flames. And then the subway crash, where you saw people getting mowed down by the out-of-control train. OK, so I didn't really see all of that. As soon as I suspected that it was going to show EVERYTHING, I pretty much didn't look.

I actually thought Nicolas Cage did a decent job. At no time did he irritate me or did I want him to die, like I did all through "Leaving Las Vegas".

I was, however, disappointed with the ending, with aliens being the explanation. They'd sort of set it up as a supernatural thing, so I thought the aliens totally ruined that. And Earth is destroyed, and then a bunch of kids are taken to another world to be the new Adams and Eves to populate that world. Those poor kids - did they know what they were in for?

Oh, and I enjoyed the movie even though there was an ENTIRE ROW OF STUPID PEOPLE WHO WERE TALKING REALLY LOUDLY THROUGH MUCH OF THE MOVIE, SO MUCH THAT I MOVED AFTER THE MOVIE STARTED TO GET AS FAR AWAY FROM THEM AS POSSIBLE BEHIND THEM, WHICH WASN'T VERY FAR. What the hell is wrong with people?

2 comments:

dodie said...

DVD's and the home entertainment industry have created an atmosphere where people think they are in their living room when they're not. Also, bad parents.

Anonymous said...

wow... this review sucked.. and badly. it was an alright movie. it showed a 3rd view of the creation theory, 1st being well Creation by God, 2nd Evolutionist theory, and 3rd people were brought to this planet by alien beings to populate. it's a view not too widely discussed but it was interesting to see it on film.