Sunday, December 14, 2008

Would you *really* want to be his apprentice?

I happened upon a story that a live-action version of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is being worked on by Walt Disney Studios. Cool, ok, I like that. Jay Baruchel is in talks to play the apprentice. OK, I remember him from "Tropic Thunder", and I liked him, so that's fine. But then the additional notes in the story said that the sorcerer is being played by Nicolas Cage. WHISKEY.TANGO.FOXTROT. The story is set in contemporary New York where a wizard is looking for an apprentice.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Nicolas Cage keeps getting work. It can't just be that he's Francis (Is he Ford at this particular moment? I can't keep track.) Coppola's nephew. While I was watching "Leaving Las Vegas", I was rooting for him to die, quickly, because then it meant the movie would be over. And then he got a frickin' Oscar for that movie.

Who in the hell would want to be his apprentice? This might be one of those cases where I could be interested in the movie, but his presence in the film is going to make me stay away.

No comments: