Friday, March 27, 2009

80s flashback - The Human League - "Don't You Want Me" and "Human"

Tonight's 80s flashback is a two-fer - two videos for the price of one blog post!

I wouldn't say that I'm a fan of The Human League in general as I don't really know their body of work very well. But I was and am still quite enamoured of two of their big hits. The subject matters are intriguing, and I just love the feel and rhythms of the songs. It's hard to say which one I actually like better. The first song is more upbeat and more energetic, but the smoothness of the second song is just intoxicating. They're both songs that I have a hard time not singing along to when I hear them, so pity you if you happen to be around me when I hear one or the other.


"Don't You Want Me" - One of the things I love about this song is that you get both sides of the story. He talks about how much he did for her, though there's an implied threat as well, and you kind of feel sorry for him a bit, but then you get her side. You either think she's a heartless bitch or that she did what she had to do.




"Human" - Infidelity is something that most people find unforgiveable, but his coaxing voice does wonders in trying to talk you through it, to forgive him. As much as his straying might have hurt, you also hear the longing and sorrow in his voice. And then, there's the shocking twist at the end - she did the same thing! Wonder how *he* took that bit of news?

No comments: