Monday, January 26, 2009

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Today marks year 4707 on the lunar calendar, the year of the ox.

I found a couple of websites with various information about Chinese New Year. I have no idea who runs each website, and I don't vouch for the accuracy of any of the information.

This is from infoplease with generic information.

This one looks a little more "authentic", and I would guess it's run by a travel company.

This one has actual Chinese writing on the page! No, I have no idea if that makes it more authentic.

And here's a news story about how Chinese New Year was celebrated (they are 18 hours ahead of U.S. Pacific Time) in an area of China hit last year by an earthquake.


Disney usually releases some kind of pin in conjunction with Chinese New Year. Since there's no famous ox in Disney lore, I guess they decided to just stick Stitch on a pin with an ox, since Stitch sells well. Hmmm, to me, it might have made more sense to put Mulan on a pin with an ox.





Disney also released another Chinese New Year pin, which I actually like better than the above pin, but it's for sale only to cast members, so I'm out of luck.





I think it would be a lot of fun to be at Hong Kong Disneyland during the Chinese New Year season, but with circumstances the way they are, that's not gonna happen anytime soon. The offerings at that park look pretty cool, though. Following are a couple of screen shots from their website.


The main page for the Chinese New Year celebration event.



I've seen pictures of Mickey and Minnie dressed up before but not Goofy. Pictures with them would be awesome. I'm not sure what Bolt and Mittens have to do with anything - guess they're just promoting the movie.



Parade looks like it would be really cool.



They have other Chinese New Year related celebrations as well, including dining and red packets and such. I'm going to assume there's no actual money in the red packets.

Happy New Year!

No comments: