Sunday, June 29, 2008

"WarGames" - 25th anniversary screenings - July 24, 2008

While we were at the movies today, we saw an ad for a special one-night-only theatrical screening of "WarGames" on July 24, 2008, in celebration of the film's 25th anniversary. Wow, I can't believe it's been that long. I actually did a paper on the film's editing in one of my college classes. I *love* that movie. OK, I'll admit, I had a huge crush on Matthew Broderick at the time, but I loved the movie anyway.

I heard something else when they made the announcement, but I wasn't quite sure I'd heard what I thought I'd heard. I'm sure I must have misheard it. But no, I didn't.




I really *did* hear them say "sequel". Here's the page for more information about the screenings. I hadn't heard anything about a sequel (which is apparently called "WarGames: The Dead Code"), and I have no idea what kind of sequel they could possibly be making after all this time. Heck, are Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy in it? Or their kids? (OK, not Matthew's and Ally's kids because they don't have any, but the kids of their characters, I mean.)

They seem to be having the screening in a number of theatres across the States. Here's a listing of all the theatres that will be having the screenings. I just bought our tickets to the AMC Century City theatre. If you have a MovieWatcher card, the $1 per ticket service fee is waived.

"What kind of an asshole grows up in Seattle and doesn't even know how to swim?"

4 comments:

Andrew said...

I wanna go. I might even temporarily put aside my extreme dislike of Century Theaters (the only houses showing it here in the Bay Area are all Century) just this once.

Andrew said...

Upon further review, not the "only", just the "only in our area". I suppose Cupertino isn't that far.

Anonymous said...

Doing a bit of research, it turns out that "WarGames: The Dead Code" is a direct-to-video release that is coming out on July 29th. An anniversary-edition DVD of the original movie comes out the same day.

It doesn't look like any of the cast or major crew from the original film are involved in the sequel. I'd bet that someone found an inexpensive to produce script that they could tack a familiar title on...

Andrew said...

At least "Lost Boys: The Tribe" has Corey and Corey. And Keifer's younger brother.