Saturday, November 17, 2007

People say the stupidest things

1. The husband and I were at Disney's California Adventure on Friday for an event celebrating the 70th anniversary of the release of the feature film length animated movie "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". After doing a few things earlier in the day, we were going back into DCA, so we got in line at the turnstiles around 5pm. There were only 3 lines open, and with two components of the event starting at 5pm, coupled with the regular guests just visiting the park, the lines were very long. As we moved our way up the line, the couple behind us asked if we knew why the lines were so long, so we explained about the event as well as the small number of lines that were open. The family in front of us had heard us so were asking about the event. We mentioned that it included a screening of the film that evening. The mother said, "You mean that really old movie?" I think I just kind of stared at her. "Well," she continued, "we're going on rides." I couldn't help myself from responding, "We can do that anytime. We're here pretty much every other week." The dad said that was nice, that it was an advantage of being local. The mom's comment really pissed me off. It would never occur to me to refer to something as groundbreaking and important as "Snow White and the Seven Dwards" simply as "a really old movie". I guess, in that case, "Birth of a Nation", "The Jazz Singer" (not the Neil Diamond version), "Citizen Kane" and "Psycho" are all just "really old movies". It really irritated me that she couldn't appreciate what we were doing, or even at the very least, allow that we were doing something we liked. OK, if you're an out-of-town visitor, then no, going to see a movie that you might have on DVD isn't going to be appealing, but to not even recognize that someone might be coming from a totally different place than you? BITCH!

2. We went to the Star Wars convention earlier this year, Celebration IV, and I was wearing a t-shirt from that convention. I got a few comments from people who were either there for part of the time, the whole time or who had wanted to go. At one point, a woman saw my shirt and said, "Are you a fan or do you know someone who's a fan?" I replied that I was, but I couldn't figure out why she'd ask that. If I wasn't a fan, why would I be wearing the shirt? If I wasn't a fan, and I had a friend who was and went, why would they think to buy me a shirt? Or why would I ask them to buy me one? And why would I want to wear it if I didn't at least like it? If I had responded to her question with, "No, I hate Star Wars, but I had nothing else to wear" or "No, I don't know anything about Star Wars, but I decided to wear the shirt anyway", wouldn't I have been the total idiot?

3. I own a letterman-style jacket that says "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (the TV show) on the front and has "slayer" and a dagger logo on the back. I had it on at some point a few years ago, and someone came up to me and said in an accusatory fashion, "Why are you wearing that?" I didn't know what to say. "Because I'm cold" and "because I like the show" came to mind, but I don't even remember what I said or why the person asked what she did in the manner that she asked it.

4. A number of years ago, the weekend prior to the release of "Terminator 2 - Judgement Day", I went to a convention to celebrate the film. At the convention, I bought a black t-shirt that just says "T-2" on a blueish background. Very understated and yet also very dramatic. At the time of the release of the film, they were having midnight showings the day of the release, so I went up to the Universal Citywalk theatres because I'd been excited to see the film, and those crowds are usually a lot of fun to watch films with because everyone is so into it. I was by myself, wearing the T-2 t-shirt that I'd bought at the convention, and I was standing in line waiting to be let into the theatre. I could hear the two teenage boys behind me talking, and all I could really make out was an exchange of "you ask her" / "no, you ask her". Finally, one of them got my attention and asked where I'd gotten the shirt, so I told them. After a pause, one of the boys asked if I'd be interested in selling it to them. OK, so this is middle of summer, and I'm wearing the t-shirt and shorts. I've got no jacket, no sweatshirt, nothing and no one else with me. Even if I'd wanted to sell the t-shirt, I would have then had nothing to wear instead of the shirt. So I said no. They seemed disappointed.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Re: the T2 shirt.

Oe of the Guys: "That's a really nice shirt...my friend told me to ask you for it...it's in really good condition....can I have it?"

Cindy: "No, but I know someone that has a Simba fannypack that might interest you."

:)