Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Cheesecake Factory (the real restaurant - not the alternate reality one that apparently exists on "The Big Bang Theory")

The Cheesecake Factory is a chain of restaurants that has good food in addition to really good desserts, as one might expect given the name. It's not a place I went to often, but with a new location that opened up in the last year much closer to where I live, I've had an opportunity to visit more than the once-in-five-years or so that I had been visiting previously.

Most of my memory stems from a visit I made multiple years ago with a friend. We ended up at the Marina Del Rey location. We had arrived at about 3pm, and because it was between their lunch and dinner crowds, we had no problems with parking or getting a great table with a fantastic view of the marina. (By the time we left, the dinner rush was in full swing, with plenty of cars waiting for the valets.) We started with their nachos, but we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. The appetizer nachos were a *huge* portion, piled high to boot. It would have been plenty to serve 4 or even 6 people. By the time we were done, we ended up eating not very much of our entrees because we wanted to save room for dessert. I've not ever ordered the nachos again, so I don't know if the appetizer is still huge. Even though I didn't have very much of my entree, the jambalaya, I remember how much I liked it. I haven't had that in some time either, so I'm hoping to return for dinner sometime to try that again.

The husband and I had lunch there today, and the jambalaya seemed too heavy for lunch. I remembered that on my last visit, a friend had ordered the Luau Salad, and it had looked really good, and she had seemed to really like it. The salad is described as "Fresh Slices of Grilled Chicken Breast Layered with Mixed Greens, Cucumbers, Green Onions, Red and Yellow Peppers, Green Beans, Mango and Crisp Wontons with Macadamia Nuts and Sesame Seeds, Tossed in Our Vinaigrette", which did sound good, so I ordered the lunch-sized portion of that. The husband really likes the Miso Salmon, described as "Fresh Salmon Marinated in Miso and Baked, Served with a Delicious Miso Sauce, Snow Peas and White Rice", so he ordered the lunch-sized portion of that. We also ordered the Chicken Pot Stickers ("Oriental Dumplings Pan-Fried in the Classic Tradition, Served with Our Soy Dipping Sauce") to start.

The pot stickers were very tasty, and I really enjoyed the dipping sauce that came with it. The husband liked the sauce as well, though he could have done without the cilantro that was scattered in it. The husband enjoyed his entree, and I had a taste of the salmon, which was very good and had a nice crispiness to it. I really enjoyed my salad. The mixture of ingredients was all things that I liked, and the layers with the crisp wontons made it almost like a huge nacho-like salad. The crisp wontons weren't the slivers that you normally get in other dishes. They were very large fried triangles, so I would eat one filled layer at a time. Definitely something I'd recommend if you want something a little lighter.

The Cheesecake Factory offers a fairly extensive menu, including pizza, burgers, Shepherd's Pie (which I'd like to try), Hungarian Beef Ghoulash (which I'd also like to try), pastas, fish and seafood, steaks and chops, salads, sandwiches, hispanic and asian-themed dishes as well as breakfast and Sunday brunch selections. And of course, they also offer a variety of desserts, including a large selection of different cheesecakes.

We weren't interested in having dessert after lunch, but we did decide to get some to go to have later. I opted for Adam's Peanut Butter Cup Fudge Ripple ("Creamy Cheesecake Swirled with Caramel, Peanut Butter, Butterfingers® and Reeses Peanut Butter Cups®") and the husband chose the Lemoncello Cream Torte ("Layers of Vanilla Cake and Lemon Mascarpone Cream Topped with Streusel and Served with Strawberries and Whipped Cream"). They're both sitting in our refrigerator at the moment.

I like the atmosphere of the restaurant - the servers are very good and very attentive, but it's not stuffy or austere in the restaurant. It's very open and family-friendly. Because we were there for Sunday lunch, we opted to sit at one of the tall tables in the bar area, where we had a good view of the television sets with the Sunday NFL games. Definitely a restaurant that I recommend.

Here's the official website of The Cheesecake Factory.

5 comments:

Andrew said...

We love the Cheesecake Factory too and go there fairly often.

allyn fratkin said...

hi cindy. you don't know me but i've been following your culinary adventures at disneyland for some time now. anyway, regarding the cheesecake factory, i highly recommend the thai chicken pasta.

Cindy said...

andrew - OK, so it looks like y'all have recently had the nachos appetizer. Is it still a mountain-load of food? When you and Jen had the nachos appetizer at Tortilla Jo's Cantina that one time, it reminded me exactly of how humongous The Cheesecake Factory serving was.

allyn - Thanks for popping in, welcome, and thanks for the suggestion. I just looked that up on the menu, and it *does* sound good. I'll add that to my list of things to try. I've already told the husband we need to go back multiple times for dinner because of all the things i need to try.

Cindy said...

So I realized I hadn't posted an update on the desserts we'd gotten to go. The husband loved his Torte. I liked my cheesecake ok, but it was really rich and dense. Having milk with it really helped - coffee probably would have been good too. I forgot that while I like cheesecake ok, I really like it either in small doses or as a kind of flavored cheesecake. The piece I'd gotten was basically cheesecake with other stuff on top. I like pumpkin cheesecake and key lime cheesecake because you kind of get the best of both worlds - nice taste of cheesecake but having it be lighter and having the other flavor as well.

I have about half my slice left in the refrigerator. With pumpkin pie to have today, I'm not sure I'm going to get a chance to finish the rest of it before it spoils, though I'm not sure how long cheesecake keeps.

Sherry said...

Mmmmmm....Luau Salad. I haven't tried many things on the menu at Cheesecake Factory, because I very often want my luau salad.

Oh, the shrimp and bacon sandwich is good, too. The turkey burger wasn't bad either, but I prefer the Turkey Burger Sliders at Ruby's Diner, because they're served on King's Hawaiian rolls.