Friday, November 9, 2007

The Great Grape Juice Lego Experiment

In my first entry of this blog, I mentioned having purchased some Lego kitchenware. Well, I finally did try grape juice with the two molds.

Here's the ice cube mold, with one of the grape juice Lego cubes on top.





The grape juice didn't quite freeze as much as water does - even with being in the freezer for two days, it was still quite watery on top, and the blocks were a bit difficult to get out whole. Because of the nubbies (what are they called anyway?) at the bottom that form the top of the Lego piece, some of them would break off or get smooshed coming out of the mold, all the more so because the blocks weren't frozen solid. Cute, and still tasty, though.


I decided to also make a grape juice Lego in the bigger mold that I bought.





That one was fun but again didn't quite freeze all the way. It's a pretty hefty block.

The next experiment will be actually baking in the bigger mold. The husband likes angel food cake, so I'm going to make angel food cake Lego bricks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just make sure you dont over bake it, or it will become a brick.

Cindy said...

Hmmm, thanks for the tip. I've discovered that usually, the instructions on how long to bake something are much too long for the thing (cake, cookies, brownie, whatever) to turn out the way I want it, so I usually set the timer for about 10 minutes less and just keep checking.

I've never baked with those plasticy spongy stuff. Do they bake the same way that regular pans do? I mean, if I'm baking 20 minutes in a regular pan, is it the same amount of time in one of these things? I'm thinking that because they're not metal, you would actually need to bake longer in these since it's not conducting as much heat as a regular pan, but as I said, I've never used one yet, so I figure it would be trial and error.

Unknown said...

I would do a test with some bad batter or something, just so you dont waste the good stuff.