Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"Part of Your World" - probably like you've never heard it before

So tonight, my nephew posted a link to a YouTube video that I promptly stole and re-posted myself. It's the Cantonese version of "The Lion King", and it's a scene from that film. And in the related links, I found that there was a Cantonese version of "Part of Your World", and for reasons known to some, I just *had* to post that here.

Like with "The Lion King" segment, I only understand bits and pieces of it because my vocabulary sucks. With this segment, I understand the spoken bits more. The actual song itself is harder because they have to use more elaborate words, trying to fit both the meaning and cadence, which means it's going to be vocabulary I've never even heard of. But it was fun to watch.

And it made me realize that the Cantonese words for "street" and "chicken" are very similar, so be careful! ;)







This isn't completely alien to me because I remember sitting at my parents' house watching Cantonese versions of Disney movies that my brother had gotten for them so they could watch and understand what was going on.

But the weirdest thing was sitting there one day, and my parents had some music on, and it suddenly dawned on me that I recognized the music of that particular song. No, no way, can't be. And then the vocals started. And while I didn't really recognize the words much, I knew the melody and the notes and the song - it was Dire Straits' "Walk of Life", sung in Cantonese. I just started laughing because it was so unexpected. I have no idea where the song came from or why someone did a Chinese version of it.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Interesting! I wonder what it would sound like if Jodi Benson was singing it (in perfect Cantonese, of course).