Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour to make a comeback!



Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour used to be a chain that was in quite a number of locations when I was a kid. I remember going to the Rosemead location after plays and concerts I was in when I was in junior high school, and I also spent time there during my high school years and after I came home after college. But over the years, the chain died down (many years later, I visited the old Rosemead location, which had turned into Dixieland, and now, I think it's a Chinese restaurant), and the last one I knew of was in the San Diego area. A new one opened up in Temecula but that one didn't last long. Then I heard that one had opened up in Santa Clarita, in the Mountasia Family Fun Center, and the husband and I made a trek there when we were going to Magic Mountain one year. We had a terrific time there. We've been back on a couple of occasions, but it's a seriously long trek for us to make, so it's not something we are keen to do often. There are also two locations in Hawaii, but that's seriously even more geographically undesirable as far as visiting is concerned.

Today, a friend tweeted that Farrell's was now on Twitter, so I immediately started following them. I then found out that Farrell's also has a presence on Facebook, so I connected with them there as well.

They've announced that a location is due to open in Orange County, but they haven't said where yet. A few years ago, Farrell's was supposed to open at The Block in Orange, but after several trip-ups, that fell through, I think because of some legal entanglements. That is seemingly not where they will be opening, and I've gotten some information that they might be opening in Mission Viejo, but I hope that's older news. I'd love to have a Farrell's closer than having to trek to Santa Clarita, but Mission Viejo really wouldn't be much closer.

I'm excited to hear the announcement of where the new location will be and when it will open.

If you're interested in learning more or reminiscing about Farrell's, Roger Baker has a great unofficial site with lots of history and pictures and such.

No comments: