Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Jagerhaus - restaurant review

There are a few German restaurants that I like, but unfortunately, most of them are all located in Solvang, which is a bit of a drive, so I had been looking for something a little more local. In early 2006, I found out about Jagerhaus and checked out their menu, which looked good, so the husband and I had tried it out for dinner. We liked it enough that we ended up going back to have dinner with a group of 11 other people, and everything went well - our table was set up when we got there, we got great service and great food. When we were perusing the menu, we noticed mention of breakfast being served, and we talked about trying it sometime. However, we're not generally in the Anaheim area on the rare times when we're up for breakfast, but last weekend, we did find ourselves in that position so decided to finally try Jagerhaus' breakfast.

The restaurant is in a little strip mall, so there's plenty of parking, which is nice. There were quite a few cars in front of the restaurant, and it turns out that Jagerhaus seems to be a popular breakfast destination since it was fairly busy during our time there. We were promptly taken to our table and then looked at our menus to see what we'd have for breakfast.

I'm one of those who has food rules - certain foods can only be eaten at certain times of the day/for certain meals. I'm not generally one who has breakfast foods at night nor do I really have lunch/dinner foods for breakfast (unless it's something like cold pizza, which is the perfect breakfast, but I digress), and there are rare exceptions that I make for that, usually depending on what time I got up that morning. Since it had been a very early morning that day, it didn't feel as much like breakfast as if I'd only been up for an hour or so.

Denver omelet happens to be something I really like, but I figured it would be silly to order something like that at Jagerhaus. They do have standard American breakfast faire, but what caught my attention was the German omelet. I'm a huge fan of sauerkraut, but I consider that a lunch/dinner food, not something for breakfast. I wasn't sure how I would like sauerkraut in an omelet, but I figured, what the heck, if I'm going to try this, Jagerhaus would be the place to do it, so I decided on the German omelet with polish sausage, sauerkraut and onions. When I gave my order to the server, I then found out that the omelet came with toast, so I asked for wheat. It turned out that the husband had decided on the same thing (except he asked for rye toast), and we also got an order of the potato pancakes to share. I also had a large grapefruit juice.

When our food was brought to us, we were surprised that the omelets also came with a side of scalloped potatoes. If we had known that, we probably wouldn't have ordered the potato pancakes, so I wish the menu had made mention that the omelet came with toast and a side of potatoes. Obviously, we found out about the toast when we ordered, but it would still be nice to know what accompaniments are included when you're deciding what to order.




The omelet was very delicious, and it was a very generous portion - it had ample amounts of sauerkraut, polish sausage and onions inside the omelet, and I didn't find the sauerkraut to be weird at all. Obviously, it wasn't as sour as I would normally prefer with lunch or dinner, but I don't think that would have gone well with the omelet. It was a good taste of the sauerkraut without making it overpowering of the rest of the omelet. The potatoes were nicely cooked as well.

One order of the potato pancakes comes with two pancakes as well as a side of applesauce. Some places also include some sour cream, but that wasn't included here. The pancakes were pretty tasty, and since I don't like to put the applesauce on the pancake, I had the applesauce after I'd finished the rest of my meal.





As I mentioned, our meals came with toast, and the wheat toast that I ordered was very thick cut, which was nice. One thing I've always thought was odd for restaurants to do is to give you hard butter to go with your toast. I picked up the pat of butter to undo the wrapper, but I found that the butter was pretty much hard all the way through. To me, that makes it impossible to spread on the bread. We noticed that the plate for the potato pancakes was pretty warm, so the husband put a pat of his butter on the plate for a while, which softened it enough to make it spreadable. I just skipped the butter entirely and had my toast dry.


Generally, we enjoyed our breakfast. The only problem we encountered was that the service was *very* slow at times. We didn't need a lot of attention since once they took our orders, there wasn't much else to do other than to bring our food, but on several occasions, we had to ask two and three times before our water glasses were refilled, and when we were done with our meal, we ended up waiting for a while before seeing our server so we could ask for our check. I don't remember having this problem on our previous dinner visits, so I'm not sure what the issue was, but it's not something that would prevent me from returning or recommending the restaurant.

As I mentioned, we're not in that area much early in the morning, so it's not likely we'll be there for breakfast very often, but it's definitely something to keep in mind for anyone who finds themselves in the area during that time of the morning or even for lunch or dinner.


Jagerhaus
2525 East Ball Road
Anaheim, CA 92806
(714) 520-9500

1 comment:

Heidi Ann said...

I didn't even realize you had a blog until I looked something up on MousePlanet, and then went to see if you had any new Disney restaurant reviews. I am familiar with your postings for years on Laughing Place. I LOVE that you post pictures of the food! I will be checking back often - glad I found you!