Friday, August 8, 2008

Are you ready for some football?

The drought is over. Relief is here. I'm not into basketball or baseball like I used to be, and I was never into hockey, so once the Super Bowl was over early in the year, it meant there was no more professional football to watch. I used to get glimpses of NFL Europe sometimes on a Sunday morning, but then that went away for whatever reason. And there was no football. And there was still no football.

But now - there's football! The pre-season has started, and even though I don't normally pay that much attention to pre-season, I'm so desperate for football that I'm going to watch/record the pre-season games that are going to be broadcast tonight and tomorrow night.

Tonight, the Oakland Raiders will be playing the San Francisco 49ers. The 49ers have always been one of my teams, and now, they're one of my teams mostly for historic reasons since I have no idea who's even on the team anymore. But if nothing else, maybe it'll be another fun season of watching the Raiders get pummeled.

Tomorrow night, one of my other teams, the Dallas Cowboys, will be playing the San Diego Chargers, who I don't particularly like. I'm looking forward to seeing how Tony Romo does, though I'd prefer for the starlets to be left off-camera. The Cowboy cheerleaders are ok though - I've always thought they had cool outfits. Remember this movie? I do.

And now that we're on the second phase of the three-ring circus that is Brett Favre, it'll be interesting to see how both the Packers with Aaron Rogers will do as well as how the Jets do. I've liked Brett, though I've found his "I want to play, I don't want to play" every year for the last however many years to be fairly tiresome, and I'm really tired of his whole attitude this time around, not to mention some of the reasons people have used to rally around him. Ooooo, those big bad Packers - they treated their star so horribly, they can treat anyone so horribly. Yeah, right, it's just that. It has nothing to do with the fact that Favre has been holding the Packers hostage for the last multiple years, and just when they thought the crisis was over, he came back for more. I know it sounds mean, but I'm hoping he gets taught a lesson and the Jets pay the price.


Oh, and ummm, there's some other sports-related thing that starts today, but I haven't been into the Olympics in a number of years. I used to be huge into gymnastics, but I have no clue who anyone is. I suppose I might watch something if I'm home with the TV on and nothing else to do, but as far as making an actual effort, nope.

No comments: