Saturday, August 2, 2008

"Battlestar Galactica" - Hasbro titanium collection

OK, let me first say that when I refer to "Battlestar Galactica", I mean the original one from the 70s. Yes, I loved that show. Yes, I've seen the miniseries of the current incarnation, and no, I didn't like it. I can't deal with Starbuck being a girl or Boomer being a Cylon. Yes, I know that many people like it, and it's so much more awesome than that stupid campy version in the 70s. Whatever. I don't feel that way. Besides, I couldn't watch the new version even if I wanted to since we're cably-challenged. And yes, I know they're out on DVD, and yes, can you tell that I'm tired of people wanting me to justify why I don't watch it and by the people who seem shocked and dismayed by my seeming betrayal to the genre of science fiction at refusing to watch it - though why people could possibly get that invested in what I do and don't watch, I'll never understand. So, ok, disclaimer done.

Back in the old days, it was easy for me to know that any Battlestar merchandise was going to be something I was interested in. Now, it's usually not stuff I want because it's all about the new show. I love having the boxed set of the original show in the Cylon head box. I don't actually have a lot of Battlestar merchandise, either because there wasn't much available or because at the time it was available, I didn't have any money for that kind of stuff.

A number of years ago, I heard about a Battlestar Galactica convention that was being held up at Universal City, which I ended up going to. It was fun for some reasons - I saw Richard Hatch up close and personal at one of his panels which was basically held in a sort of classroom. I got to see, take a picture of and wave at Herb Jefferson, Jr. (he waved back) when he was at a table for autographs. A number of the women from Battlestar had their own panel, so that was fun. (Whenever I read Soap Opera Digest, and there's something about John McCook, I always smile, knowing that's Laurette Spang's (now McCook's) husband.)





While I did have fun at the convention, there were also a lot of problems - it wasn't organized very well, and oftentimes, you didn't know the day before what was going to be happening the next day, and sometimes, you'd get there at the beginning of the day, and you still didn't know what was going to be happening. It was cool seeing various fans in the brown uniforms though - I've always loved the look of those. They had another convention a few years ago, and I was told by an insider that this one was going to be done right - I think this was still before the new show - and I considered going, but unfortunately, the timing didn't work out as the entire convention fell during a time when I was already doing something else.

One of the things I remember seeing a lot was a pewter/die-cast version of the Galactica that I really liked. I never picked it up, though, and I haven't seen it in a while, so if I happen to see it again and it's decently priced, I'll probably pick it up.

I figured I was out of luck for any good Battlestar merchandise, but on a recent late-night trip to Toys R Us, the husband happened to find something.




It's a classic Cylon raider from Hasbro's titanium collection. I was pretty excited to be able to get that, and I was hoping maybe they had a viper or even the Galactica itself to go along with it. But, in looking through Hasbro's site, there's only the classic version of the Cylon raider - all the other ones are from the new series. Oh, well, like I need more collectibles. I'm just happy to have this one.

No comments: