Tuesday, August 26, 2008

it's a Gloomy world



That's Gloomy. He can often be found in a box, waiting for a good home. Isn't he just adorable? Don't you want to take him home and adopt him?

The husband and I were in Japantown about a week ago, and that's when I learned of the existence of Gloomy. The husband brought over a plush of Gloomy. But Gloomy didn't look like the picture above. He looked a bit more like this next picture.





The husband also showed me that you could just buy Gloomy's bloody arm. As you can see, Gloomy comes in many different colors.





OK, so what's the deal with Gloomy? Well, they also had some grab-bag style little boxes (sound familiar?) with Gloomy merchandise - I think they were keychains. On the side of the box were a bunch of pictures that showed the story of Gloomy. I've found a reproduction of the picture story and am including it below.





So, of course, when we got home, I had to find out more information about Gloomy and Pity, the little boy who adopted him.

Here's a blog entry with more information about Gloomy, including the origin of his name. And here's a blog entry that kind of explains the premise behind Gloomy.

This is the home page of the guy who created Gloomy Bear. Love the animation! :) Click on "main" from the home page. They had the Hannibal Lecter-looking design on one of the boxes, and I thought that was too cool. When you get to where the animation stops, you'll notice that the page is interactive if you click on the picture of Gloomy/Pity. I know, it's sick, but it's funny too!

Here's another article about the Gloomy phenomenon.


Well, in browsing around the net, I found all kinds of cute Gloomy merchandise. Wanna see some of them? Yeah, I knew you would.




Gloomy Halloween. He's my favorite. I might have to actually find him before Halloween.










Gloomy reindeer. He's just too cute!












Gloomy mecha. He looks very different from all the others, because he's mecha. Love the Godzilla feel to his look.











Gloomy witch or wizard, whatever you prefer that Gloomy be. I love the outfit.













Gloomy mummy. I think he looks more like Gloomy bandaged. I wonder what he fought that HE got the short end of the stick?










Gloomy with Pity. As you can see, Pity made a terrible mistake. But he still loves Gloomy nonetheless.












This Gloomy is able to stand, and he's poseable as well!




This is a cute stationery set. If it only had notecards, I would totally get it, but since I rarely ever handwrite letters anymore, I don't need letter stationery.




This mug is just too funny for words. Great use of the heat-sensitive technology. Definitely go and read the description.




Here's a Gloomy hoodie that you can order. I would consider getting this as a Halloween costume, but I think it might just be for kids.




Isn't he adorable? I so want one of these. Here's the article that talks about them. I love the following quote from the article.

Maybe someone dressing him up in a bunny costume was the reason he turned so violent? I know that would turn me gloomy.



And then here's a link to a Gloomy action figure. Again, I love the writing.

Look at the cute cuddly bear! Why is his name Gloomy Bear? He’s so soft and cuddly I bet people give him hugs all the time. That should cheer anyone up. Gloomy Bear what is that on your hands and coming out of your mouth? It looks like blood…why do you have blood on your cute little claws Gloomy Bear? Gloomy Bear why are you looking at me like that? Gloomy Bear…Gloomy Bear you look upset. Gloomy Bear would you like a hug? Oh no….aaaiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! gurgle blurg sploosh death ... If you wanted a softer version of Gloomy Bear you might check this version out. Softer as in plush…he will still kill you.





This is Gloomy with mauling action, which includes a Pity doll.


I stopped by a Power Anime store by work tonight to see if they might have any Gloomy merchandise. They didn't, but I did ask the clerk just to be sure. He said that Dark Horse had U.S. distribution rights to Gloomy, and he was expecting a ton of Gloomy merchandise in about three weeks, so I'll definitely be going back to check.


Here's a Gloomy Bear LiveJournal community that I found. I haven't browsed it too much yet, but from what I've read, it's just a riot.


And of course, Gloomy is on YouTube!


Gloomy bear - sick and funny at the same time.





This video tells the story of Gloomy bear and includes a chat with Gloomy's creator, and there's even a live pink Gloomy!





Here's video of a battery-operated pink Gloomy bear toy that walks around.





And speaking of walking around, I so want a Gloomy bear like this!!!!!!!





Look at this video of him as a walk-around character.



This last picture is from gloomybearstore.com. I think it perfectly embodies the spirit of Gloomy!





Have a Gloomy day!

No comments: