Saturday, December 29, 2007

Stu Nahan - goodbye and thanks (oh, yeah, and the Patriots)

I heard earlier this week that Stu Nahan had died. He's someone I haven't heard about in a long time, but he was certainly someone I heard a lot when I was a kid. I grew up with brothers who were really into sports, sometimes playing, mostly watching, so I learned to do the same. There were many, many nights when I would watch Stu Nahan's sports reports. I can't really tell you anything specific about him, but I loved his sportscasts. He just had a way of telling the stories, and he was smart. I missed seeing him as he got older, and then I started watching Fred Roggin. I'm glad to see that Fred Roggin refers to Stu Nahan as a friend and mentor. No wonder I liked Roggin too. He learned from the best.

Nahan was apparently fighting cancer and beat it for a time but eventually succumbed.

My best to his wife and family. Thanks, Stu, for feeding and stoking my interest in sports.

Here's one story about Stu Nahan's death.


And on a related note, I guess I should say that the New England Patriots beat the New York Giants today, completing the Patriots' perfect 16-0 season. The Giants actually played quite well, and they not only scored repeatedly against the Patriots, but they were holding the Patriots offense as well. But in the end, the Patriots pulled through, though I don't think most people expected them to win by only 3 points. In the process of completing their perfect season, they also broke three NFL records - most points scored in a single season (589), most touchdown passes thrown in a single season (Brady - 50), and most touchdown receptions in a single season (Moss - 23). I'm not a Patriots fan, but you have to give credit where credit is due.

No comments: