Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Christmas tree would just be a multi-layer cat toy

About six years ago, we bought a beautiful new Christmas tree. (Sorry, I don't do real trees.) It was the "fancy" kind, with the lights already woven into the branches. We had an older tree, but it was too small for our collection, and we wanted something newer and nicer. So we put our beautiful tree up, our beautiful tree skirt, and our various wonderful ornaments, many of which were Disney themed, some of which had different sound and motion features to them. Brilliant.

And that was the last time I saw that tree and most of the ornaments.

Because about five years ago, we adopted our cat Orkid. She's very playful and very mischievious. And we had to redecorate various parts of the house to thwart her curiosity and exploratory nature and sometimes amazing jumping ability. And we knew that we couldn't put out the tree. OK, maybe the tree itself would be ok - she'd probably still climb it and try to chew on the branches and lights, and if the tree came crashing down, it probably wouldn't hurt her and hopefully wouldn't set the house on fire since the lights wouldn't be turned on when we were home. But what would be the point of putting the tree up if we couldn't also put up our nice ornaments? But she'd have a field day with those, and I know she'd destroy them. We definitely couldn't have them moving, and the twinkling lights would probably attract her attention even more.

When I was a kid and we had cats, they would generally eventually break a few of the round ornaments around the lower parts of the tree. Every morning when we woke up, we'd generally find one broken against a wall or something, after they'd yanked it off the tree and then batted it around. I know what cats can do to ornaments. And I wouldn't be able to help being upset with Orkid if she broke any of ours. So the only solution is to keep the tree put away until she's old enough that she's not interested any more. We thought maybe a few years would be enough time. Well, she's not really showing any sign of slowing down, which is good, I guess, since she still loves to play. It just means we can't have a tree up in the house. And it also means I don't get to see most of our beautiful ornaments. We've pulled a few out, and they're currently sitting on the mantle. The plan was to have them plugged into a string of lights along the mantle, since they were the more spectacular motion ornaments, and we'd at least get to see them. The boxes sit there, but I haven't gotten around to actually setting them all up yet.

But there's one ornament that I absolutely love. I can't even really remember why I have it. I think I bought it as opposed to being given it as a gift, but it's the cutest little mouse.



We call him "little fat mouse". He's just too adorable sitting there having eaten some of the cookies left out for Santa. I pulled him out about a year or so ago, and he sits in our curio cabinet so I can see him any time I want.

I miss having a tree and other Christmas decorations, but it's worth the trade-off to have Orkid. And I still get my little fat mouse.

However, other people have been much braver about putting up a Christmas tree with cats in the house. And it makes for hilarious pictures. Check out this link.

No comments: