Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Romano's Macaroni Grill - Italian restaurant chain

I first went to Romano's Macaroni Grill a couple years ago. I'd never been before, and there was one near where we were, so we decided to stop by. We don't generally go that often, partly because it's usually crowded, partly because there are other Italian restaurants that we go to, and partly because their portions are fairly big so I'm bound to have leftovers.

Romano's is similar in some ways to Olive Garden, but I think the entrees tend to be a bit more expensive, and some of the menu items are a bit more upscale. The tables have butcher block paper on them, and when your server comes up, he/she will write their name with crayons - they're actually writing upside down and backwards so that their name is positioned correctly for you to read it. OK, I've only been there when it's been just the husband and me, so the server is always on the other side of the table from us. If you're there with more than a party of 2, then some people will see his/her name upside down as well, but it will still be written upside down and backwards.

One drink that I've had there a few times is the Leaning Bellini - "our signature bellini blended and frozen with Bacardi rum, peach nectar, white wine and champagne" - it's very tasty.

My one complaint though - given the name of the restaurant, you'd think there would be some kind of dishes with macaroni. Well, if you thought that, you'd be wrong. The only thing they have with macaroni is a macaroni and cheese dish that's on the kids' menu. False advertising!

I decided to start with the house salad with the fat-free Italian dressing, and for an entree, I ordered the penne with oven-roasted chicken - "penne pasta, oven-roasted chicken, asparagus, fresh buffalo mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes, sauteed in a light olive oil garlic sauce". The husband decided to start with the small serving (it comes in a larger serving size as well, presumably if you're sharing among several people) of the mozzarella alla caprese - "imported buffalo mozzarella, vine-ripened tomatoes and basil with balsamic vinaigrette" - and for his entree, he ordered the marsala chicken ravioli - "ravioli filled with sliced chicken and Parmesan, then sauteed with fresh asparagus, savory mushrooms, smoked Italian prosciutto and a Marsala wine cream sauce".

Olive oil is available on the table, but you need to ask if you'd also like balsamic vinaigrette for your bread. We enjoyed our bread before they brought our starters.

The husband really enjoyed his caprese. Romano's version presents the mozzarella as little balls whereas some other restaurants serve them as slices. I generally prefer the slices because I think it goes better with the slices of tomato, but it looked good all the same. I enjoyed my house salad. It was more than just iceberg lettuce, and the dressing had a nice light flavor.

The husband enjoyed his entree, although he said some of the flavors didn't really seem to match what they had named the dish. I liked my penne as well, though as I mentioned before, they have fairly large servings, so I only finished a little less than half of it, and I took the rest to go. The chicken was very good, and maybe it's because I happen to really love asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes, but I thought both of those were cut too small so that you could barely really even taste the bites. I tend to like them a bit more prominently in my dishes. I had the leftovers for dinner a few nights later, and after a few minutes in the microwave, it was warm enough to taste good again, but once I was done, I was surprised at how much oil was at the bottom of the plate. I hadn't noticed that when I'd originally had the meal in the restaurant.

Our server this evening was quite nice and informative and was very sociable. On previous visits, servers have always been professional, but some have been a bit more aloof.

On my next visit, the mission will be to find an entree that isn't so big that I have to bring leftovers home.

4 comments:

Sherry said...

My favorite dish there is the Seared Scallop Salad. It has lots of good stuff in it, the dressing is light, and the candied walnuts are way yummy. OK, now I want salad, and then lychee liqueur. What the heck, man?!

Anonymous said...

Be careful what you eat at Macaroni Grill. I know that Sherry probably thinks that the seared scallop salad is healthy (she mentions the dressing is light) but that salad has 1320 calories, 91g of fat, 25g saturated fat, and 2860mg of sodium! I haven't looked at many other dishes they offer, but my guess is their menu isn't all that healthy!

Sherry said...

Thanks for the tip, Chad...but I really like that salad, and at least I'm eating something green. ;)

Oh, and the other dishes have a ton of calories and fat, too. It's good that I don't go there very much.

Cindy said...

I was going to say that if I was trying to count grams and calories, I wouldn't be picking Romano's that night. I'm sure all the carbs in the pastas aren't great either, but they sure are yummy. I actually prefer Olive Garden, partly because of the soup/salad, but the one in Monrovia is ALWAYS crowded with a long wait.