Sunday, December 16, 2007

Oedipus had it easy

So when you were born, your parents gave you up because they were married/involved with other people and lots of other drama going on. As an adult, you finally track down who they are, and their relationship is on and off and still also involving other people. You're still angry that they gave you up, so you concoct all kinds of schemes. Even though you're a man, your features are feminine enough that you can also pass for a woman, so dressed as a woman, you seduce your father, and then you get pregnant by him. He has no idea you are his son, but your mother knows what you've done and is urging you to come clean with him.

Sounds like a fun time, doesn't it?

I've been watching soap operas for most of my life, and yes, soaps are home to a lot of outlandish stories. Usually, their forte is bed-hopping, mate-switching, infidelity, paternity issues and the like. "Passions" has always included a supernatural element in their show, which isn't my thing but which apparently some people like. But when you get into these convoluted incestuous relationships, exactly who are they trying to appeal to? And people wonder why "Passions" has been cancelled twice (two different networks) in the past year?

No, I don't watch the show myself. Everything I know about it, I've learned from reading Soap Opera Digest.

No comments: