Thursday, December 27, 2007

Did you know Arby's has cheesecake poppers?

There used to be an Arby's fairly close to where we live, but they closed a couple years ago. There is apparently this abyss in a certain part of the Greater Los Angeles area where Arby's are not allowed to exist. On a recent quest to Arby's, I ended up driving from the westside of Los Angeles to Hollywood, where there's an Arby's on Sunset by Gower, and then onto the San Gabriel Valley, because it was the only "convenient" Arby's.

Anyway, I liked Arby's ok, but when we used to go, I got to like their market sandwiches. Good bread. And decent curly fries, if I remember correctly.

Well, on an outing a few months ago, circumstances arose where a few of us were constantly being told/reminded that Arby's now had cheesecake poppers. We got together with some friends last night, and I just *had* to bring some.




After I placed my order and was waiting for them, I didn't really know how they were going to come out - hot or cold. Well, when I saw the guy making them take them out of the deep-fryer and pour them into a paper container before giving it to me, that answered the question. We didn't eat them for some time after that, so of course, they were cold by then. We could have heated them up in the microwave, but we decided not to. They look kind of like tater tots, but darker. The outside is fried, so it would have to be hot, and it wasn't nearly as tasty with it being cold and having sat around for an hour or two. The raspberry sauce that comes with it was pretty tasty, and the cheesecake bite itself was good. It would probably be fairly good fresh, since I figure the cheesecake part would be kind of gooey, just coming out of the fryer. You get six pieces in one order, which is a good size to enjoy without having too much or too little.

I might have to get some again and try them hot.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

I just saw a Sonic ad today, and they have Cheesecake popper-type things, too. Gotta go compare, and maybe have some tater tots while I'm there. ;)

Uh-oh. Commenting about food again. Help me!

Cindy said...

Sonic - I think I've heard of them but don't know anything about them or ever been to one or even seen one that I can recall. I'm sort of remembering it's a burger place. Am I close?

Sherry said...

Sonic is like an old-fashioned drive-in burger place, where the servers use roller skates get around. I think there's one right by the Character Warehouse in Fullerton. We'll go!