Monday, December 10, 2007

Happy Hamukkah!



A friend forwarded the picture to me, and she thought the culprit store was Balducci's in New York, but she wasn't entirely sure that it wasn't a made up story and the picture photoshopped.

Well, it wasn't in either case. Here's a story from the New York Daily News about Balducci's menu recommendation. Note that they had the sign on three different kinds of pork products.

I think it's funny that they blamed some low-level stock clerk for the error. OK, I've never worked in a supermarket before, but do the stock clerks make up the signs too? Someone had to go through the trouble of making what looks like a laminated sign that has the holiday and the product printed on it. And how long were the signs up, and no one who worked in the store noticed it? I would think that whomever was working in the meat department would have made a eye-ball check of the area and noticed the problem, but again, I've never worked in a supermarket so I don't know if that would be customary.

I don't really see an issue with having ham for Hanukkah. As long as it's Kosker Ham, what's the problem?



BTW, I've noticed for some time now that there seem to be two different spellings of the holiday - Hanukkah and Chanukah. I have no idea what the "correct" spelling is. I don't see one more dominant than the other - either spelling seems to be used half the time. So what's the reason behind that? Does a certain sector like one spelling while another sector prefers the other? Was there some big rift in the Jewish community brought upon by a failure to agree on the spelling? I'm going to have a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch to ponder that some more.

No comments: