Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"Star Wars: The Force Unleashed" - non-spoiler book review

I've been hearing about "The Force Unleashed", the new Star Wars video game, for quite some time. I'm not really that kind of gamer, so the game itself didn't interest me, but as I heard more and more about the story, I was intrigued. I was excited to find out that they were going to release a novelization of the story of the game, and I picked up the hardcover by Sean Williams when it was released. I just finished it over the weekend, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had all the elements of quintessential Star Wars, and there was also a lot of good action and story and character development, and I found myself wanting to find out more and more. The story is set in the time shortly before the events of Episode IV and centers around Darth Vader's secret apprentice. We follow him through many missions and discoveries and along the way, we meet people he encounters and works with. He also has a droid that assists him, PROXY, and he's nothing like R2D2 or C-3PO, but I love his character as well.

There are lots of cool new planets, like where the rancor live, and we also visit some familiar planets as well as encounter some familiar characters. My only complaint is that there is one sequence which is a bit too reminiscent of a sequence in the original trilogy, but it didn't have quite the right tribute feel to it, more just a copy.

The video game is being released today, and the husband already has plans to pick up a copy today. Heck, the release of this game was the reason he even bought the PS3 in the first place. I'm looking forward to seeing him play the game so that I can watch the graphics of what I've already read. I'm curious as to how the game will be played out, and there's already one spectacular scene that they've shown in the previews that I now understand the context for.

Even if you're not interested in the game, I definitely recommend the book to any Star Wars fan.

No comments: