Thursday, September 18, 2008

not Japanese, but still funky and still cute

OK, I've told you about little boxes of joy, and I've told you about the mostly-defunct Yesterdeer, and I've told you about Domo, and I've told you about Tofu Robot, and I've told you about Gloomy (and yes, Gloomy counts as a cutie), and I've told you about other fun Japanese things.

Well, apparently, the Japanese haven't quite cornered the market on cuteness. A friend came across some products in a store and then found that they're available online. They're a bit more expensive than normal plush, but then, these are hand-made. I also like the descriptive write-ups of each plush.


According to the website, Mummy was "once an Egyptian queen, [but] she’s now content with running the local candy shop and giving out advice."



This is Frank - "He has multiple personalities from all the different people he’s made up of. One day he’s Einstein, the next he’s a little boy."



This is Devil, who has a detachable tail, kinda like Eeyore, I guess.



Gingerbreadman is pretty cute, but he must be pretty tasty because he's got a bite taken out of him!



This is Zombie, who has a bit of his brain poking out, which I think is funny, not to mention that "he is constantly stressed and goes to the mall, but can’t remember why." I wonder if he also likes going to jamborees.



Speaking of Zombie, he happened to have taken a bite out of Brian the brain, but Brian has forgiven him, and they're best friends. Brian's actually my favorite of the bunch.



Bat is pretty cute, but I don't think I want any gifts from her. Yes, if you read her description, you'll understand.



This is Vlad the vampire. Doesn't he look spiffy all dressed up?



Marshy isn't a Peep, but he's still pretty cute, and he's much less fattening!



When I saw that he was named Gimp, I was wondering if he was going to have only one leg or a bum leg or something like that. Nope, so I have no idea why that name was picked for him. I love this part - "His mouth is a working zipper with red satin inside. ... He is hyper, talkative and often has to zip his mouth to keep from saying too much." I know y'all are thinking the same thing about me!



This was something where only two were made, and I found reference to it on CRM's MySpace blog. Nice combo of zombie and bunny! I wonder if that would still scare Anya. She must have encountered some zombies in her time. But then there's that whole "twitchy little noses" bunny thing.



The March 27, 2007 news entry on CRM indicates that a licensing agreement was made with a company to mass produce the plush. Subsequent news entries indicate that the plush was going to be sold at Hot Topic stores in November 2007, so I wonder if they're still carrying them?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful. Not sure if I would pay those kind of prices though. There are more on the website that are cute too, including the Wolfman. What is it with putting scary creatures into bunny suits though?

Cindy said...

Oh, no, he's not the Wolfman - he's the "woofman". ;)

Anonymous said...

I assume the "gimp" is a reference to Zed's "the gimp" in Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction":

Zed: "Bring out the Gimp."
Maynard: "The Gimp's sleeping."
Zed: "Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?"

Sherry said...

Hee hee! Zombie Jamboree.

YAY!!!!

I'm going to the mall today, so I'll check out their Hot Topic.