Monday, March 24, 2008

T4 aka "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins"

So in addition to the new television show "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles", yet another continuation of the Terminator saga will be coming. Warner Bros. has announced that their film entitled "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins" will be released on May 22, 2009, with Christian Bale in the pivotal role of John Connor. There's apparently not much known about the story, but it's planned to be a trilogy of films that begins after Judgement Day, after Skynet has already destroyed a significant number of humans, and John Connor leads a group of survivors to try to stop the machines. The events of the TV show are supposed to take place after the third Terminator movie, and the events of the new movie are then supposed to take place after the events of the TV show. I don't think it will quite be the parts of the fight that we've already seen, when the network of resistance fighters has already been established, but rather, the beginnings of John becoming a leader and gathering a following, which should be really exciting and interesting to see. Hey, they have to win - they're being led by Batman! However, can I just say that as much as I like Liam Neeson, he damn well better not be cast as some wise sage in this film.

I would expect that Kyle Reese would be in the story, if not the first film then at least by the second or third film since he plays such an important role in the fight. It will be interesting to see whether they incorporate the recently created character of Derek Reese in the film. Warner Bros. does also produce the television show, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Neither James Cameron nor Arnold Schwarzenegger are affiliated with this new project.

I absolutely loved "Terminator" and "T2". I was not all that pleased with "T3", but I also love "T2-3D", the Terminator-themed show at Universal Studios in Hollywood and Orlando, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this movie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a minor correction, the TV show actually takes place between the second and third movies. Prior to the time jump in the first episode, I think it was meant to be about 1-2 years after the events of T2. The third movie ended with Judgement Day, so it obviously has to take place after the TV show.

While James Cameron isn't directly involved with the sequel, apparently neither are the producers that originally bought the rights out from under him. Variety recently reported that Cameron has been consulting some with McG (who is directing) and even suggested the casting of the actor that is the lead in Cameron's upcoming "Avatar" for a major role.

I'm still really mixed on whether or not to look forward to the movie, though. McG is not exactly what I would consider to be in my top choices as a director (for this or anything else) and I'm also not really sure how interested I really will be in the post-apocolyptic setting. I thought that the 1 episode of the TV series that mostly was flash-forwards to after Judgement Day was extremely dull...

Cindy said...

I thought John was older in the show than he was in T3, but then, I didn't care for T3 and don't remember much about it, including the ending, so I'll admit my knowledge of the timeline of the third film is practically non-existent.

I heard about Cameron recommending the "Avatar" actor, but that still doesn't mean he has anything to do with the new movie. Given his usual involvement with films, I'm figuring that unless he's producing or directing, his contribution is going to be minimal.

As for the new film, I'm still excited to see what they're going to do with it.