Friday, January 25, 2008

satisfyinger

"Snickers really satisfies" is a slogan for the candy bar that's been used in their advertising for some time. Well, now, apparently, Snickers satisfies even more of your cravings. For a limited time only, of course, they're releasing Snickers Charged, which not only includes the well-known peanuts and nougat but will also be loaded with caffeine, taurine (used as an active ingredient in energy drinks) and B vitamins. The caffeine contained in the candy bar is about the equivalent of an 8 ounce cup of coffee and about twice of what's in an 8 ounce soft drink. Snickers has chocolate in it of course, so that must have been the source of some caffeine as well. Apparently, the sugar boost you get from the bar wasn't enough, so now, it's supercharged. I like my word better. "Charged" just sounds so banal, so "not trying hard enough". If it's Supercharged, it's got to be better! (Hey, maybe I'm learning from having watched Gene Simmons on "Celebrity Apprentice".)

I'm not a particular fan of Snickers, though I have enjoyed the little bite-sized versions. Peanuts are ok, but I generally prefer other kinds of nuts, and Snickers with almonds still didn't do anything for me. Nougat also isn't really my thing, which is why I hate 3 Musketeers. Obviously, this new promotion isn't aimed at me. But I marvel at what I see as an increasing trend in candy and food - let's put as many different substances in one thing as we can. I saw another candy bar the other day - it might have been Snickers as well, I can't remember - which now had peanut butter added in it. Pretty soon, there's just going to be one candy bar that has milk and dark and white chocolate and peanuts and almonds and cashews and brazil nuts and nougat and caramel and wafers and coconut and peanut butter, and also infused with caffeine, ginger, ginkgo baloba, chai tea and a splash of grenadine.

Maybe I'm weird in that I really just like the simpler stuff. My favorite candy bar is Almond Joy, though Mounds are good too. I'm not a fan of having everything packed into one thing. I'd rather have little pieces of different things. I think this applies to candy and food (which is why I like dim sum, sushi and tapas), but for ice cream, I like different things mixed in.

Here's a link to the press release about Snickers Charged.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I love a whole bunch of different kinds of Snickers, but I don't want or need that extra caffeine. Are we all THAT tired that we need double extra caffeine with all of that sugar and fat? That's too much, man.