Thursday, October 11, 2007

My John Candy (or is that Steve Martin?) Adventure

It never occurred to me, but then my friend Robert called me while I was on my trip the past couple days, and he greeted me with "How's your John Candy movie?" It took me a second to realize what he meant. He had called me while I was on an Amtrak train from San Jose to Sacramento, the day after I had taken a plane flight from Ontario to San Jose, and he was going to be picking me up from the Sacramento Amtrak station. And the following day, I'd be flying from Sacramento back to Ontario. Oh, and I had also driven to the Ontario airport in my car. When I got home and told the husband about Robert's comment, he said that it was actually Steve Martin's adventure, but since I've never seen "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", I wouldn't know.

Not so much a jet-setting lifestyle, but the combination of different modes of transportation was interesting. I needed to get from San Jose to Sacramento, but I had no idea they didn't have direct flights, but instead, flights from San Jose to Sacramento had stopovers in places like Seattle ... and LAX. :| So how the heck was I going to get from San Jose to Sacramento, I had wondered? It was actually Robert who had suggested Amtrak. I've never ridden it before and had never even thought about it, but it seemed the best plan. The only other thing to worry about was probably having to take the Amtrak back to San Jose and flying home from there, but when I realized that Southwest doesn't care if you book one-way flights and fly into and out of different cities without charging extra, then it made sense to fly into San Jose and out of Sacramento.

More about my adventures in the next week.

No comments: