Wednesday, October 3, 2007

"The Big Bang Theory", "Back to You" and "Kitchen Nightmares"

"The Big Bang Theory" - I love this show. And I love having a comedy where I literally laugh out loud multiple times during the course of the show. I was laughing and cringing during the whole segment about Superman catching (and not cutting into three pieces) Lois Lane. As we fast forwarded through the next commercial, I asked my husband if he knew what was really scary about that. He said, "Because you know people like that?" "No," I said, "I've *been* that." (Original "Battlestar Galactica" - squadrons were purple and orange, and I was right.) OK, let's see if I can remember names from now on. Kaley's character's name is Penny. The taller, geekier-looking guy is named Sheldon, and the shorter, not-quite-as-geeky-looking guy is named Leonard. I loved the whole bit about Sheldon not understanding sarcasm, though in my experience, geeks are actually quite good at sarcasm, using and getting. But the sarcasm sign that Leonard makes later is a perfect payoff to the joke. And I haven't met too many geek neat freaks, so Sheldon's got a lot more going on with him. And do two people really have that many different kinds of cereal on hand? I think at most, I had two for myself at any one time. I loved Kaley's reaction expressions - she is so incredibly good at that. And now I'm interested to see if they're going to continue the Bart-writes-a-different-thing-on-the-chalkboard-each-time gag in the end title card that has the production company name on it. They had it last week, and this week, it's a different card, so we're pausing to read. This one just had random bits of advice that were really funny. My favorite was: "Don't eat anything bigger than your head. True in the sixties. Still true now."

"Back to You" - Nothing spectacular in this episode, but still very funny, and yep, laughed out loud literally again. I love the demo tape that the would-be anchor had. He really could be the break-out character on this show. I wasn't terribly happy with the angle that the daughter and Chuck bonded over making fun of mom, but the drinking game was pretty funny. I did like when she had the litany of things that Chuck could attend and/or help with so it wasn't just fun and games being a parent. And I loved the cracks about the Disney cruise.

"Kitchen Nightmares" - You could tell this was going to be a short episode because they had that long intro at the beginning, as if this was the first episode rather than the third. Was this episode intended to be the first episode? Why are we being introduced to a show that we've seen two episodes of already? And the wife's comment about "don't talk to me like that" was shown something like 5 times during the course of the episode. Ummm, ok, I get it. No footage. This episode at least had a slightly different twist in that it wasn't about how dirty and rotten the food/kitchen was. It really was just about the attitude of the people and especially Billy, the owner. The biggest thing that bugged me about The Mixing Bowl? That it's an eatery and a restaurant. Grrrrr.

No comments: