Friday, April 1, 2011

chocolate milk for adults

I'd previously heard a couple of ads for Adult Chocolate Milk, and I'll admit I didn't quite know whether to think it was legit. It sounded kind of fun and interesting but didn't catch my attention to find out anything more about it.

Coincidentally, a friend found a bottle at BevMo and though she'd never heard of it before, she thought it sounded cool, so she bought me a bottle as a gift. Last night, a few of us shared some for a taste test.






I love the way that the bottle is packaged. It's also pretty easy to open, and the little plug also works really well to re-seal the bottle if need be, even enough to keep it from spilling anything in transport after it's already been opened.


But cute bottle and all, the test comes in the testing. And Adult Chocolate Milk passes that test with flying colors. We all agreed that it was pretty delicious. I wouldn't say that it entirely tastes like actual chocolate milk - it's not really chocolaty enough for that. But there is a nice smoothness to it, with nice flavor. I'd say it's probably a lighter version of chocolate milk. But yeah, it's oh so alcohol-y. You can definitely taste the "adult" part. It was actually a little stronger than I had expected, though I don't know why I expected it to be that way. I think the "chocolate milk" moniker tricks you into expecting something light and easy. Yeah, be careful that you're not just downing this particular chocolate milk and then going off for a drive.

When I had previously told the husband about having received this, I was wondering whether it should be chilled before we had it. I don't generally chill other liquers, and this doesn't require being chilled, but the husband suggested it might taste better chilled. So I did put it in the fridge for a couple hours before we tried it. The glass bottle helps with the chilling process too. I guess it would taste ok at room temperature, but again, the facsimile to actual chocolate milk makes it seem like it would be better chilled, since tepid milk is blech, at least to me.

So we were trying to figure out what foods might go well with this, because we can't live on chocolate, milk and alcohol alone. The first and immediate suggestion was a cookie, but I don't think anything sweet would really go well with it, since it's already sweet - not overwhelmingly so, but enough that I think you don't need to be adding more sweetness with it. Milk goes well with cookies because the plain milk cuts the sweetness in the cookie. Chocolate milk would be just too much of a pile-on. So we rejected any sugary foods - cookies, cakes, pies, cupcakes, etc.

And then, I came up with an idea - a peanut butter sandwich! I've always liked having milk with that since the milk helps cut the stickiness of the peanut butter. And the taste of peanut butter and chocolate together is like having a Reese's peanut butter cup. Adult chocolate milk and a peanut butter sandwich is definitely a combo I'll have to try in the future.

Adult Chocolate Milk is definitely being added to my list of things I can potentially bring to parties and to have around the house as well.


And yes, this is a totally real product, today's date notwithstanding.

1 comment:

Dodie said...

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking." :-)