Friday, March 5, 2010

a lovely day

I had a lovely day yesterday. I lounged around at home during the day instead of going to work. Then the husband and I went to the Academy for a symposium for the Best Animated Film nominees. Unfortunately, a horrendous accident on the freeway meant we were crawling along at under 5 mph for about 40 minutes, which made us incredibly late for the symposium, so I'm really disappointed that we missed the segment on "Coraline", but there wasn't anything we could have done about it. Wes Anderson didn't end up being there, but I did enjoy the segments on the other three films, especially for "The Secret of Kells", an Irish film we hadn't known about but which I now want to see. The scenes they showed look great, and when all the directors went up at the end, it was pretty cool to see the director up there with his first animated feature being nominated for an Oscar, and he's sitting there with Henry Selick and Ron Clements & John Musker and Pete Docter. He seemed thrilled and excited to be there.

The husband was very sweet and thoughtful to me yesterday as well. There was a particular special gift that I was getting from Dianne's (the currently-still-open jewelry store at Disneyland in New Orleans Square), so the husband left work early on Thursday to swing by to pick it up so that I'd have it yesterday instead of having to wait for today. And, I'd been jokingly lamenting that with all the stuff going on yesterday, I was going to end up having dinner at Denny's, so the husband actually made reservations at two different restaurants for after the symposium, and then we picked which one to go to (with a friend who also came to the symposium) afterward, so we ended up at Genghis Cohen. It's been probably 8 or 10 years since the last time we were there, but the food was still good.

And to top off the evening, we then headed to the El Capitan to meet friends for a midnight screening of "Alice in Wonderland". The theatre was pretty crowded, and the audience was really loud and excited, and many were dressed in costumes. Loved the movie.

One of the trailers they showed before the film was "Tron Legacy", and it looks awesome! I'm just sad that I have to wait another nine months to actually see the movie.

Tonight, a bit more lounging at home, and then I'm hanging out with a friend at the DLR for a while, and then we're meeting the husband and other friends for dinner at one of our favorite restaurants in DTD.

Yeah, it's all good. :)

No comments: